- Does your baby's changing table have a safety belt?
- Are all painted cribs, bassinets, and high chairs made after 1978? (Prior to this, paint was lead based.)
- Are crib slats less than 2-3/8 inches (6 centimeters) apart?
- Are the crib's headboard and footboard free of large cut-outs?
- Is all of the hardware on the crib secure?
- Is the crib mattress firm and flat? Does it fit snugly in the crib?
- Is the crib free of a drop side?
- Is the crib free of soft pillows, large stuffed animals, bumper pads, and soft bedding?
- Have any strings or ribbons been clipped off hanging mobiles and crib toys?
- Are window blind and curtain cords tied with clothespins or specially designed cord clips? Are they kept well out of reach and away from cribs?
- Are dressers secured to walls with drawers closed?
- Do the lids on toy chests or toy storage containers have a lid support to keep them from slamming shut? Are all toy chests non-locking?
- Has a window guard been placed on any window that isn't an emergency exit?
- Are any night-lights in the room not touching any fabric like bedspreads or curtains?
- Does your child wear flame-retardant sleepwear?
- Is there a smoke alarm outside the bedroom?
- Have you removed all drawstrings from your child's clothing?
- Are all medication bottles, loose pills, coins, scissors, and any other small or sharp objects out of reach?
- Are window blind and curtain cords tied with clothespins or specially designed cord clips?
If you own firearms:
- Are they stored in a securely locked case out of kids' reach? All firearms should be stored unloaded and in the un-cocked position.
- Is ammunition stored in a separate place and in a securely locked container out of kids' reach?
- Are keys kept where kids can't find them?
Reviewed by: Kate M. Cronan, MD
Date reviewed: July 2013