Note: This recipe is especially for kids with lactose intolerance, who need to limit or avoid dairy products.
This is a quick and easy way to add a vegetable serving to your daily meal plan.
Prep time: 25 minutes
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 1 yellow squash, sliced
- ½ red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- ¼ cup fat-free Italian dressing
- 2 cups brown rice, cooked
- ¼ cup soy parmesan cheese
- nonstick cooking spray
- knife (you'll need help from your adult assistant)
- 2-quart covered casserole dish (microwave safe)
- microwave (you'll need help from your adult assistant)
- measuring cup
- Spray casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Mix vegetables and dressing together in the casserole dish.
- Cook vegetables in microwave for 10 minutes, stirring every 2 to 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle parmesan cheese onto the vegetables.
- Serve vegetables over rice.
Serving size: 1 cup vegetables and ½ cup rice
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
7 g protein
2 g fat
0 g sat. fat
31 g carbohydrate
4 g fiber
0 mg cholesterol
278 mg sodium
117 mg calcium
1.4 mg iron
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Variations and suggestions:
You also can serve this dish over pasta. If you would like to make it extra cheesy, add soy mozzarella to the vegetables.
Reviewed by: Rupal Christine Gupta, MD
Date reviewed: July 2015