|SSM Cardinal Glennon Children's Medical Center|
How to Separate an Egg
1. Place two bowls on a countertop.
2. Crack the egg gently on a flat surface.
TIP: Cold eggs are easier to separate.
3. Working over one of the bowls, gently pry the eggshell halves apart.
4. Keep the yolk in one of the eggshell halves and allow the whites to run over into the bowl below.
5. Gently transfer the yolk back and forth between the eggshell halves and allow as much of the whites as possible to drip into the bowl. Take care not to break any part of the yolk.
6. When you're done, you will have the egg whites in one bowl. Pour the yolk into the other bowl if you plan to use it or dispose of it with the eggshell halves.
Reviewed by: Mary L. Gavin, MD