Prep and cooking time: 1½ hours
Recipe makes: 4 servings (2 "boats" per serving)
- 1 large bone-in skinless chicken breast
- 4 medium-large zucchini
- 1 tbs. olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (28 ozs.) unsalted diced tomatoes
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- ½ tsp. salt substitute
- ¼ c. basil, roughly chopped
- ½ c. shredded fat-free mozzarella cheese
Equipment and supplies:
- Baking sheet
- Cooking spray
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Large, nonstick skillet
- Knives and cutting board
- High-sided pan for baking (e.g., a roasting pan or ovenproof glass dish)
- Preheat oven to 400°F (204°C). Line the baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray. Place chicken breast onto baking sheet and cook until chicken is cooked through, about 45-55 minutes.
- While chicken is roasting, make the sauce: Heat olive oil in skillet over medium heat. Sauté onions and garlic until soft, about 4-5 minutes. Add diced tomatoes and cook until the sauce begins to thicken, about 10 minutes. Turn heat off.
- While sauce is cooking, cut the stems off of the zucchini and then cut them in half lengthwise. Using a teaspoon, scoop out the seeds and half of the flesh to make a boat shape. Place zucchini skin side down into a high-sided, ovenproof pan that has been lined with foil and sprayed with cooking spray.
- When chicken is cooked through, cut it into small pieces and stir it into the tomato sauce. Add the basil. Fill each zucchini with about 2 tablespoons of the chicken mixture. Turn oven down to 375°F (190°C). Cover the entire dish with foil and bake zucchini for 25 minutes.
- Uncover the zucchini and distribute the mozzarella cheese evenly on each zucchini boat. Put the pan back into the oven for another 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serve.
Reviewed by: Meredith Parkinson, RD