Note: This recipe is especially for teens with diabetes, but can be a nutritious part of almost anyone's diet.
Prep time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
- 2 cups uncooked regular oats
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups mashed banana
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Equipment and supplies:
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- 2 mixing bowls
- 1 baking sheet
- Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C).
- Combine the first 5 ingredients in a large bowl and stir well.
- In a separate bowl, combine the banana, oil, and vanilla and stir well.
- Add the banana mixture to dry ingredients, stirring as you add.
- Let the mixture sit for 15 minutes.
- Place rounded tablespoon-size scoops of dough onto ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Transfer the cookies to wire racks. Cool completely before serving.
Serves: About a dozen.
Reviewed by: Cheryl Patterson, RD, CDE