Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time (for chicken): 1 hour
Recipe makes: 2 servings
Ingredients for the Chicken:
- 1 large bone-in chicken breast, skin removed
- ½ tsp. salt substitute
- ½ tsp. black pepper
Ingredients for the Salad
- 1 scallion
- 1 stalk celery
- ½ teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tbs. fat-free mayonnaise
- 2 romaine lettuce leaves
- 1 whole-wheat pita
Equipment and Supplies:
- Baking sheet or shallow roasting pan
- Aluminum foil
- Knife and cutting board
- Large mixing bowl
- Measuring spoons
Instructions for Cooking the Chicken:
- Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C). Line baking sheet or roasting pan with foil. Spray foil with cooking spray and place chicken on top. Spray chicken with cooking spray and season with salt substitute and black pepper. Roast for 1 hour. Allow to cool completely before pulling meat off of the bone and dicing. Chicken can be cooked a day or two in advance and kept refrigerated.
Instructions for Making the Salad:
- Finely chop scallion and celery.
- In a large bowl combine the pre-made chicken, scallion, celery, five-spice powder, pepper, and mayonnaise. Stir until well combined.
- Spoon chicken mixture into pita and place lettuce on top. Cut in half and serve with some crispy fresh veggies.
Tip: For packed lunches, keep the filling and pita separate and combine just before eating so pita doesn't get soggy.
Reviewed by: Meredith Parkinson, RD