Note: This high-calorie recipe is especially for kids with cystic fibrosis (CF), who may need additional calories to meet their nutritional needs.
Serve this alone or add vegetables on the side. This high-calorie meal tastes even better the next day.
Prep time: 75 minutes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pound ground beef
- 16-ounce can red kidney beans, drained
- 14½-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8½-ounce box cornbread mix
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 8½-ounce can creamed corn
- Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C) .
- In medium skillet, sauté onion and garlic in vegetable oil over medium heat. Cook approximately 10 minutes until tender, but not brown.
- Add cumin, chili powder, cocoa, and cinnamon to skillet.
- Add ground beef and cook at medium high heat. Cook meat until browned.
- Add red kidney beans and tomatoes to meat mixture and remove from heat.
- Spoon beef mixture into a greased 2-quart casserole dish.
- Spread shredded cheddar cheese on top of meat.
- In a separate bowl, combine cornbread mix, milk, egg, sour cream, and creamed corn.
- Pour cornbread batter over top of meat and cheese. Spread batter evenly.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until top of cornbread is golden brown.
Serving size: 1¼ cups
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
33 g protein
46 g fat
1162 mg sodium
370 mg calcium
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Variations and suggestions:
You can cut this recipe in half and make cornbread muffins with the leftover batter.
Reviewed by: Rupal Christine Gupta, MD