(Experimento: No hay sabor sin saliva)
Why you need saliva to taste foods. In order for food to have taste, chemicals from the food must first dissolve in saliva. Once dissolved, the chemicals can be detected by receptors on taste buds.
- A friend or two
- Paper towels
- Foods to taste (cookies, crackers, pretzels, or other dry food)
- Drinking water for everyone
- Use a clean paper towel to dry off your tongue.
- Taste each food, one by one. How does it taste?
- Have a drink of water.
- Taste each food again, letting your saliva do its magic!
What Are Taste Buds?
Reviewed by: Eric H. Chudler, PhD
Date reviewed: August 2011