Allergic reactions can be triggered by foods, medications, insect stings, pollen, or other substances. Although most allergic reactions aren't serious, severe reactions can be life threatening and require immediate medical attention.
Have kids avoid substances that are known to trigger an allergic reaction. Keep an oral antihistamine such as diphenhydramine available.
If your child has a severe allergy, be sure doctor-prescribed injectable epinephrine is kept nearby at all times, and that you, your child (if old enough), and anyone who cares for your child know how to use it.
Reviewed by: Steven Dowshen, MD
Date reviewed: April 2014
© 1995-2014 The Nemours Foundation. All rights reserved.