Understanding your body
Your reproductive health
Getting your period
Getting enough sleep
Looking and feeling your best
Getting help with your health
Links to more information
When someone has a physical reaction to poison ivy/oak/sumac, it's because of the oil in the plants, which can cause an allergic rash and other symptoms.
Signs and symptoms of a mild allergic reaction from poison ivy/oak/sumac include:
Signs and symptoms of a severe allergic reaction from poison ivy/oak/sumac include:
Call 911 immediately, and then the child's parents, if a child has a severe allergic reaction.
If a child has a mild allergic reaction to poison ivy/oak/sumac:
To help prevent contact with and reactions to poison ivy/oak/sumac:
Reviewed by: Kate M. Cronan, MD
Date reviewed: January 2011
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
This site is owned and maintained by the Office on Women's Health in the Office of the Assistant Secretary for Healthat the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
USA.gov | FindYouthInfo.gov