When someone has a physical reaction to poison ivy/oak/sumac, it's because of the oil in the plants, which can cause an allergic rash and other symptoms.
Signs and symptoms of a mild allergic reaction from poison ivy/oak/sumac include:
Signs and symptoms of a severe allergic reaction from poison ivy/oak/sumac include:
Call 911 immediately, and then the child's parents, if a child has a severe allergic reaction.
If a child has a mild allergic reaction to poison ivy/oak/sumac:
To help prevent contact with and reactions to poison ivy/oak/sumac:
Reviewed by: Kate M. Cronan, MD
Date reviewed: January 2011
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
682.885.4000 | Contact
Copyright 2010-2011 by Cook Children's Health Care System, Fort Worth, Texas