Vomiting can be caused by many things, most commonly gastroenteritis (the "stomach flu"). Vomiting can cause kids to lose fluids, salts, and minerals, so it's important to make sure these are replaced.
1. Do not feed milk products or solid foods to a child who has been vomiting.
2. Give small amounts of fluid:
If your child vomits again, wait 20-30 minutes and start over.
3. Gradually increase the amount of fluids once there's no vomiting for 3 to 4 hours.
4. After 8 hours without vomiting:
5. Resume regular diet after 24 hours without vomiting. Call the doctor if it starts again.
Vomiting is accompanied by:
Reviewed by: Steven Dowshen, MD
Date reviewed: April 2014
© 1995-2014 KidsHealth®. All rights reserved. Images provided by iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com