When Will a Girl's Period Start?
I got my period when I was 12. My daughter is now 13 and still hasn't gotten hers. I always thought that girls got their periods around the same time as their mothers.
Although many girls get their first period at around the same age as their mothers or other close female family members did, it's important to remember that every girl's body has its own schedule. Some girls start to menstruate as early as age 8, while others start as late as age 16.
- Talking to Your Daughter About Puberty
- Menstrual Problems
- How Can I Reassure My Daughter That She'll Get Her Period?
- Talking to Your Child About Menstruation
- PQ: How do I tell my mom I need to get some pads in case my period starts?
- PQ: What if a girl never gets her period?
- PQ: What if everything goes wrong when you get your first period?
- PQ: How do I tell my mom I got my period?
- Do Periods Ever End?
- Five Things Girls Want to Know About Periods
- When Will I Get My Period?
- All About Puberty
- All About Menstruation
- Pads and Tampons
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995- KidsHealth® All rights reserved.
Images provided by iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com