Mealtime Makeover: Grilled Cheese
Whole-grain bread, reduced-fat cheese, and no frying make this favorite sandwich nutritious. Goes great with a glass of skim milk and some low-sodium tomato soup. And this no-stove-needed recipe is one kids can make it on their own!
Prep time: 5 minutes
- 2 slices whole-wheat or whole-grain bread (at least 3 grams of fiber per slice)
- 2 slices of reduced-fat American cheese
- 2 slices white bread
- 2 slices American cheese
- 1 tbsp butter
- Toast bread.
- Add cheese slices to one slice of bread.
- Top with other slice of bread.
- Wrap sandwich in paper towel.
- Microwave on HIGH for 20 seconds or until cheese is melted (do not overcook).
Serving size: 1 sandwich
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
|This Recipe||Traditional Recipe|
|298 calories||380 calories|
|21 g protein||16 g protein|
|10 g fat||24 g fat|
|5.4 g sat. fat||15 g sat. fat|
|31 g carbohydrate||25 g carbohydrate|
|6 g fiber||1 g fiber|
|26 mg cholesterol||62 mg cholesterol|
|1203 mg sodium||1184 mg sodium|
|704 mg calcium||359 mg calcium|
|5.4 mg iron||2 mg iron|
|120 mcg folic acid||68 mcg folic acid|
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Variations and suggestions:
Add tomato slices between cheese slices before microwaving to sneak in an extra vegetable serving.
- About Home Alone Recipes
- Mealtime Makeover: Chicken Fingers
- Mealtime Makeover: Mac and Cheese
- Mealtime Makeover: Whole-Wheat Pizza
- Nutrition & Fitness Center
- Healthy Eating
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995- KidsHealth® All rights reserved.
Images provided by iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com