Note: This recipe is especially for kids who must avoid gluten, a type of protein found in many foods.
This dish takes a while to cook, but it's easy to put together.
Prep time: 80 minutes
- ½ onion, chopped
- ½ sweet pepper, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- ¾ pound lean ground turkey
- 8 ounces can tomato sauce
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- ¾ cup light cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C).
- In a large skillet, sauté onion, pepper, and garlic in vegetable oil for approximately 3 minutes.
- Add turkey to skillet and cook until browned. Drain excess fat from turkey.
- Pour tomato sauce, corn, and milk into the skillet.
- Stir well and heat through.
- Stir in cornmeal and chili powder.
- Pour into well-greased 2-quart casserole pan and cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake for 20 minutes more.
- For the last 5 minutes of baking, sprinkle cheese over the dish.
- It is ready when a knife inserted in center comes out clean.
Serving size: 1 cup
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
21 g protein
14 g fat
5 g sat fat
22 g carbohydrate
4 g fiber
73 mg cholesterol
464 mg sodium
213 mg calcium
2.5 mg iron
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Variations and suggestions:
Serve with rice and steamed vegetables.
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995- KidsHealth® All rights reserved.
Images provided by iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com