Can Cake Cause Hives?
My son ate some cake at a birthday party and then developed hives. What causes hives? Could it have been the cake?
Something in the cake could have caused your son's hives. Hives — raised, itchy patches on the skin — can develop when someone has contact with an allergen (foods such as eggs or nuts, bee stings, or medicines, etc.) and the body releases a chemical called histamine.
While hives themselves usually go away with time, they can be a sign of a serious allergy. If so, a future allergic reaction could cause more serious problems, like trouble breathing.
See the doctor to figure out what caused your son's hives. If he has a food allergy, it's important to have it diagnosed so that your son can learn to avoid potentially dangerous foods and keep emergency medication (epinephrine) with him at all times.
Give epinephrine and call 911 immediately if your son ever has signs of a severe allergic reaction, such as throat tightness or breathing trouble.
- Food Allergies and Food Sensitivities
- All About Allergies
- First Aid: Allergic Reactions
- Hives (Urticaria)
- Celiac Disease
- Food Allergies
- Serious Allergic Reactions (Anaphylaxis)
- Nut and Peanut Allergy
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995- KidsHealth® All rights reserved.
Images provided by iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com