Pepper and Tomato Egg-White Frittata
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 8 to 10 minutes
Recipe makes: 3 servings
- 1 bell pepper
- 1 large tomato
- 6 egg whites
- ½ tsp. salt substitute
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
Equipment and supplies:
- Knife and cutting board
- Measuring spoons
- 9-inch oven-safe skillet
- Cooking spray
- Electric mixer or whisk
- Oven mitt for handling hot skillet
- Chop pepper and tomato into small pieces. Using an electric mixer or whisk, beat egg whites until frothy.
- Set oven to broiler setting. Spray oven-safe skillet generously with cooking spray.
- Place skillet on stove over medium heat. Add chopped peppers and cook for about 3 minutes, just until they begin to soften. Pour whipped egg over the peppers and cook for about 1 minute, gently moving the eggs around until the bottom begins to set. Sprinkle chopped tomatoes over the egg whites.
- Place the skillet under the broiler. Broil for about 3 minutes or until the top of the frittata is lightly brown and just cooked through.
- Using an oven mitt, remove the pan from the oven. Allow the frittata to cool for 4-5 minutes before attempting to slice and remove from pan. Serve with a green salad.
© 1995- KidsHealth® All rights reserved.