Prep time: 5 to 10 minutes
Cook time: 20-25 minutes
Recipe makes: 4 servings
- 1 32-ounce box of low-sodium vegetable broth (non-vegetarians can use low-sodium chicken stock)
- 2 10-ounce packages of sliced baby bella or shitake mushrooms
- 2 large stalks celery, washed
- 1 small onion
- ½ cup 1% milk, optional (can also use skim milk)
Equipment and supplies:
- Knife and cutting board
- Medium to large pot
- Measuring spoons and cups
- Cut celery and onion into small pieces.
- Pour broth into a medium pot and set heat to medium. Add celery, mushrooms, and onion. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer until vegetables are soft, about 20 minutes.
- Remove 2 cups of soup from the pot and place it into the blender. Add milk, if using. Be careful when blending hot liquids — make sure the lid is on tightly and that you hold it down with your hand using a kitchen towel.
- Pour the blended soup back into the pot with the rest of the soup. Stir and continue to cook for 2 minutes more. Serve.
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995- KidsHealth® All rights reserved.
Images provided by iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com