Mexican Rice Salad
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes (rice)
Recipe makes: 6–8 servings (¾ cup as a main dish, ¼–½ cup as a side dish)
- ½ cup cilantro
- 1 clove garlic
- juice of 2 limes
- ¼ c. olive oil
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 can (15 oz.) unsalted, fat-free black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 ear of raw corn, shaved/cut off the cob
- 2 c. brown rice, cooked
Equipment and supplies:
- Pot and water for cooking rice
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Knife and cutting board
- Food processor or blender
- Large bowl
- Cook the brown rice according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Make the dressing: In the bowl of a food processor (or blender), combine cilantro, garlic, lime juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Process until smooth, about 1 minute. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, gently toss together the bell pepper, beans, red onion, corn, and brown rice. Pour in dressing and stir gently to combine. Serve immediately or refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995- KidsHealth® All rights reserved.
Images provided by iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com