Note: This recipe is especially for teens with lactose intolerance, who need to limit or avoid dairy products.
Prep time: 20 minutes
- 6 cups fresh baby spinach, torn in bite size pieces
- ½ cup mandarin oranges
- 1 cup strawberries, sliced
- 4 ounces soy blue cheese crumbles
- ¼ cup cashews
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1½ tablespoons canola oil
- ¼ teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/3 teaspoon poppy seeds
- Mix dressing ingredients and whisk together. Refrigerate to cool if desired.
- Mix the fruit and spinach together.
- Pour dressing over salad and mix well to coat evenly.
- Divide salad among 4 plates (about 2 cups each plate).
- Sprinkle cashews and soy blue cheese over the top of each salad plate.
Serving size: about 2 cups
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
11 g protein
12 g fat
3 g sat fat
24 g carbohydrate
2 g fiber
66 mg cholesterol
549 mg sodium
276 mg calcium
3.9 mg iron
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Variations and suggestions:
This salad can be served as a side dish — or add some chicken to it and make it a meal!
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995- KidsHealth® All rights reserved.
Images provided by iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com