Note: This high-calorie recipe is especially for teens with cystic fibrosis (CF), who may need additional calories to meet their nutritional needs.
This is a great appetizer or snack.
Prep time: 30 minutes
- 1 pound pork sausage, raw
- ¾ cup all purpose baking mix
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- ½ cup onion, chopped finely
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.
- Form mixture into 1-inch (2½-centimeter) balls.
- Place on cookie sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes or until cooked through. Center temperature of the sausage balls must be at least 165°F (73°C).
Serving size: 3 sausage balls
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
11 g protein
18 g fat
485 mg sodium
168 mg calcium
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Variations and suggestions:
This dish can easily be frozen before or after you cook it. Make some today and freeze half of the batch to serve at a later date.
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995- KidsHealth® All rights reserved.
Images provided by iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com