Note: This recipe is especially for kids with lactose intolerance, who need to limit or avoid dairy products.
Prep time: 1 hour
- ¾ cup onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- ½ teaspoon basil
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1½ cups zucchini, finely chopped
- ½ cup yellow squash, finely chopped
- 1 cup carrots, finely chopped
- 42 ounces canned diced tomatoes
- 1 can (16 ounces) light red kidney beans, drained
- 2 cans (16 ounces) dark red kidney beans, drained
- 8 ounces soy cheddar cheese
- oven (you'll need help from your adult assistant)
- knife (you'll need help from your adult assistant)
- heatproof spatula or large wooden spoon
- large stockpot
- measuring spoons
- In a large stockpot, sauté onion and garlic in olive oil. Cook until soft (several minutes).
- Add chili powder, basil, oregano, and cumin to the stockpot and mix.
- Stir in zucchini, squash, and carrots and blend well. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes over low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Add tomatoes and kidney beans.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes or until thick.
- Top each serving of chili with 1 ounce of soy cheddar cheese and enjoy!
Serving size: 1 cup of chili and 1 ounce of cheese
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
19 g protein
4 g fat
0 g sat. fat
43 g carbohydrate
13 g fiber
0 mg cholesterol
1,111 mg sodium
482 mg calcium
3.2 mg iron
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Variations and suggestions:
- To reduce the sodium content, rinse the kidney beans thoroughly and use low-sodium tomatoes.
- Freeze leftovers in 1-cup servings to eat at a later date. Do not add cheese before freezing.
- Consider sprinkling pepper and more onions on top for added flavor.
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995- KidsHealth® All rights reserved.
Images provided by iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com