Note: Get a grownup's help with this recipe, which requires using the oven/stove and chopping with a knife.
Prep time: 1 hour
What you need:
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 cups raw carrots, diced
- 1/3 cup raw kale, chopped
- ¼ cup onion, chopped
- ¼ cup celery, chopped
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 3½ cups water
- 2 tablespoons raw parsley
- ¼ teaspoon whole fennel seed
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- 1 pound black-eyed peas
- ½ pound turkey ham
- ½ teaspoon salt
Equipment and Supplies
- Large stockpot
- Measuring cups/spoons
What to do:
- Place a large pot over medium high heat. Add the oil, chopped onion, and chopped celery and cook until translucent (the pieces will be soft and you can sort of see through them).
- Add the diced carrots, salt, pepper, fennel seed, and crushed red pepper. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the black-eyed peas and water and cook for 25-30 minutes.
- When the peas are soft, add the turkey ham and kale and cook for another 10 minutes until the kale is tender.
- Adjust seasoning (if necessary) and serve.
How much does this recipe make?
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995- KidsHealth® All rights reserved.
Images provided by iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com