Note: This high-calorie recipe is especially for kids with cystic fibrosis (CF), who may need additional calories to meet their nutritional needs. Get a grownup's help because it requires using the stove.
This meal is easy to make. Add extra sour cream for even more calories.
Prep time: 25 minutes
- 2-2/3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 8 ounces beef tips
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 package ramen noodles, beef flavor
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- Mix 1/3 cup water and flour and set aside.
- Cook meat and mushrooms in a small saucepan with 1 tablespoon butter until meat is no longer pink.
- Add 1/3 cup water and beef seasoning packet (from the ramen noodles) to the saucepan and simmer for 2 minutes.
- In a separate saucepan, cook noodles according to package directions. Drain noodles well. Add 2 tablespoons butter to noodles and set aside.
- Pour flour-water mixture into saucepan with beef mixture. This will thicken very quickly!
- Add sour cream and stir until mixture is smooth. If too runny, add more flour-water mixture and if too thick, add more sour cream.
- Serve noodles with stroganoff mixture over the top.
Serving size: 1-3/4 cup
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
- 504 calories
- 18 g protein
- 37 g fat
- 588 mg sodium
- 40 mg calcium
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Variations and suggestions:
If you don't have beef tips, use hamburger meat. You also can use canned mushrooms if you don't have fresh mushrooms available.
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995- KidsHealth® All rights reserved.
Images provided by iStock, Getty Images, Corbis, Veer, Science Photo Library, Science Source Images, Shutterstock, and Clipart.com