Walls & Floors
- Are walls in good condition, with no peeling or cracking paint (which could contain lead in older homes)?
- Are there any nails in the walls that should be removed?
- Are mirrors and frames hung securely?
- Are rugs secured to floors or fitted with anti-slip pads underneath?
Doors & Windows
- Have you installed a finger-pinch guard on doors?
- Have you removed the rubber tips from all door stops or installed one-piece door stops?
- Have you placed doorknob covers on doors so that your toddler won't be able to leave the house?
- Do all glass doors in the house contain decorative markers so they won't be mistaken for open doors?
- Do all sliding doors have childproof locks?
- Are there safety bars or window guards installed on upper-story windows?
- Are there window stops to keep the windows from closing all the way?
- Are window blind cords tied with clothespins or specially designed cord clips?
- Are bookshelves and other furniture secured with wall brackets so they can't be tipped over?
- Is there protective padding on corners of coffee tables, furniture, and countertops that have sharp edges?
- Do toy chests and other chests have safety hinges to prevent them from closing?
- Have you checked that all used or hand-me-down baby equipment hasn't been recalled?
- Are flatscreen TVs mounted securely on the wall? Are older, heavy TVs on a low, stable piece of furniture?
- Are there stops on all removable drawers to prevent them from falling out?
- Are beds and cribs away from windows?
- Are there hardware-mounted safety gates at the top and bottom of every stairway?
- Are stairways clear of tripping hazards, such as loose carpeting or toys?
- Have you placed a guard on banisters and railings if your child can fit through the rails?
- Are the railings and banisters secure?
- Is the door to the basement steps kept locked?
- Is there enough light in the stairway?
Date reviewed: October 2013