Note: Get a grownup's help with this recipe, which requires using the oven/stove and chopping with a knife.
Prep time: 1 hour
What you need:
- 1½ pounds sweet potatoes
- ¾ cup chickpeas (also called garbanzo beans), undrained
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Cooking spray
Equipment and supplies:
- Measuring cups/spoons
- Food processor
- Large bowl
- Sheet pans
What to do:
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Steam or boil sweet potatoes until barely tender, approximately 15 minutes. Let cool.
- Peel cooled potatoes. Shred them using a grater or food processor.
- Puree chickpeas, including liquid, until smooth.
- Combine shredded sweet potatoes and chickpeas in a large bowl.
- Add oil, salt, pepper, onion powder, and cinnamon. Mix well.
- Spray sheet pans with cooking spray.
- Scoop heaping tablespoons of the mixture and place 1 inch apart on prepared sheet pans.
- Bake in oven for approximately 10-12 minutes, until starting to brown.
How much does this recipe make?
Date reviewed: March 2012